Saturday 20 August 2016

Ian's visit

Ian, a friend of mine from Kent, is making his annual visit today to have lunch with me. 

We have been friends for some 26 years - imagine how time flies! 

I have decided to serve him guo'tie 鍋貼 , WenChang Ji Fan 文昌鷄飯 , Eton mess and orange chiffon cake. 

I will cook 450 grams of sella rice and I will measure 950 ml of chicken stock [plus 50 ml stock for evaporation] to cook this amount of sella rice. I did not measure accurately the amount of stock I used in my previous post cooking this amount of rice. 

In my previous post, I boiled the chicken for 12 minutes and I let the chicken sit in the boiling stock for 60 minutes. On Saturday, I will boil the chicken for only 10 minutes and let the chicken sit in the hot boiling stock for 60 minutes.  

The chicken was cooked perfectly as shown in the picture below.



What I have found out! The amount of stock [950 ml] is ideal as it produces moist cooked rice.

A cooking time of 10 minutes for a 1.5 kg chicken is also very good. The chicken flesh is soft and succulent and the bones are cooked, not pink. It is not a good idea to reduce the cooking time. 

The weather in London is cool and there is no need to drop the cooked chicken into a bucket of ice cold water. Apparently, people in hot climates drop their cooked chicken in a bucket of ice cold water to stop the cooking process.

On another topic

While making the orange chiffon cake on Friday, a neighbour knocked on my door because he has found a cat in the bottom floor of the block of flats where I live. I was so excited and carried the cat back to my flat. 




The cat told me his name was Finn and his mother's phone number. So, I rang her and she gave me her address and I carried the cat home in the rain and got soaking wet. I wrapped the Finn, the cat, in a large bath towel, to keep him dry. 

I was so happy to be able to play with Finn.  Oh! How I have missed my little Charlemagne! It has been nearly 3 months since my little Charlemagne had passed away.  See the picture below on how I remember my little Charlemagne.



Back to baking

When the orange chiffon cake is cooked, turn it upside down and rest it on an upside-down Chinese rice bowl as shown on the picture below.



The bowl, by the side of the cake, has sella rice soaked in salted water. 

The sauces I have made to go with the chicken rice.



The chicken rice on a plate - just delicious!


The guotie - Ian likes the guotie very much and remember Ian does not eat tomatoes!



Well there will be no more cooking until Mid-Autumn Festival on 15 September. 

No comments:

Post a Comment