Wednesday 6 July 2016

Dehraduni Basmati Rice

Dehraduni basmati rice is from North India, grown in Dehradun, Uttar Pradesh by the Himalayan foothills. 




My neighbour, Ajun's mother, from number 18, Bhavna comes from Dehradun and she has given me 5 oz of this rice, which could feed two people.  It is an old rice and thus it is yellow in colour. It is best to use old rice when cooking pulao. 

She reminded me that I should soak the rice grains before cooking. I have therefore washed the rice grains several times in cold water, without breaking the rice grains, and soaked the rice grains salted water for four hours prior boiling the rice in 1.5 L of salted water for 6 minutes before draining the rice and then placing the rice on a bed on sliced potatoes with 50 grams [2 oz] butter and a little Himalayan salt in a closed pan and cook in low heat for over an hour. This method is described already in my post on Chicken Pulao

The purpose of today's post is to experiment cooking Dehradun basmati rice and to evaluate the quality of the rice to help me decide if I want to buy this rice instead of sella rice. 

Evaluation:

I have now cooked, served and eaten the Dehraduni basmati rice and I have concluded that it is not as robust as Pakistani sella rice. It does not have the fragrant associated with basmati rice. Dehraduni basmati rice is very expensive and the cheapest which I have found, can be bought from HDS Food. However, the rice is better than any of the basmati I have used, which could be found from normal supermarkets in London. 

Notes: Regarding the sizes of cups. A universal cup is 8 fluid ounces or 227 ml. An espresso is 90 ml in size and a rice cup is 150 ml in size. Fr Jose thinks a person can eat 90 ml of rice and Dr Marie thinks 150 ml cup can serve two people. As for me, I eat 2 tbsp of rice per meal.  However, as I am doing this experiment on Dehradun basmati rice, I am cooking all the rice which my neighbour has kindly given to me, which is 150 ml of rice, which is roughly about 5 oz. 


No comments:

Post a Comment